Bibliography of Joy Beckner:
- Albuquerque Journal, Cover of FETCH section, April 5, 2019: Maura Judkis, of the Washington Post, writes “The Museum of the Dog is unleashed in Manhattan” A photo of my bronze standard smooth female dachshund “A Good Life” is centered within this large cover article. Although I was given no credit as the sculptor, I am thrilled to see my most famous bronze on the cover of FETCH!
- Facebook, December 23, Susan Toplitz posted her wonderful drawings of “A Good Life” at the AKC Museum. Sweet person that she is, she gave me credit as the sculptor! Thank you, new friend!
- AKC Museum of the Dog, Sirius, Summer 2017, "Meet Me in St. Louis!" A 30-Year Retrospective of the Dog Museum. Remarks about the 2013 exhibit of my bronzes in "The Dachshund in Art."
- Arts America, Nov. 5 & 6, 2016, produced by Michelle Whaley, Jeffrey White videographer, and Eddie Halsey, assistant producer, for the PBS Nine Network of Public Media, St. Louis, MO. Many thanks to Sheila Rhoades for introducing me to Channel 9! https://youtu.be/RgyulxWgF08
- Who's Who in American Art. Vincent Nardone, an officer of Allied Artists of America, Inc. and Audubon Artists, Inc., recommended Joy for the publication. She is included in the 2007-2016 editions.
- Who’s Who in America, 2016 Edition. Joy is honored to be included in this publication for the first time in 2016.
- Art Renewal Center Salon, 12th Annual International ARC Salon Finalist." This year we have 1006 finalist works by 640 artists, representing 32% of works submitted." “Miss Me” is among the selected finalists. See the honor here: https://www.arcsalon.org/Salon2016/Category/Animals
- Normandy High School Alumni Courier, Issue 23, Spring 2015, Page 26. Article “Joy revisited” by Wayne Brasler. Photos of two St. Louis Post-Dispatch articles about my work: September 6, 2004 and July 19, 2014.
- Uptown Magazine, November/December 2014, Page 53, Photos and article, “Person of Interest Joy Kroeger Beckner” by Sheila Frayne Rhoades.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch, July 20, 2014, Photos and feature article, Page H3, “A house where hounds abound” by Sheila Frayne Rhoades.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch, July 19, 2014, Online video, “At Home with a Chesterfield sculptor known for her canines.”
- Chesterfield Arts, April 25, 2014, Artists in the News, Photo and remarks about Joy becoming a Fellow of National Sculpture Society.
- West News Magazine, April 2, 2014, Photo and article about being elected Fellow of National Sculpture Society. “Two Chesterfield sculptors honored” by Sheila Frayne Rhoades.
- The Sam Fox School of Design and Visual Arts Newsletter, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, March 17, 2014. Photo and comments about being elected to Fellow of NSS.
- Today’s Breeder Magazine, December 2013 Issue, Photo and Remarks about A Good Life in feature article, “Art for Dog’s Sake” about the American Kennel Club Museum of the Dog, by editor Barbara Fawver. Used with permission from Today’s Breeder, Nestlé Purina PetCare Company.
- Sirius, Newsletter of the American Kennel Club Museum of the Dog, Spring 2013, Cover, and Page 3 article and photos, “The Dachshund in Art!”
- The Dachshund on the Move, The Dachshund History Project, written by AKC Judge Dan Harrison. Online.
- The Wildlife Art Journal, May 11, 2012, article by Todd Wilkinson about those who were accepted into the Society of Animal Artists 52nd Annual Art and the Animal 2012.
- The Daily American Republic, May 3, 2012, On the Record Section, Page 6A, Poplar Bluff, MO. Article by Lisa Joele about the opening of my first solo show at a museum! The Margaret Harwell Art Museum, Tina Magill, Executive Director.
- St. Louis Magazine, May 2012, article, How to Memorialize your Pet. Name and address given.
- Dog Gone Art Magazine, Fall 2012, Cover. Online magazine. Beautiful!
- Dog News – The Digest of the American Dog (UK), April 22, 2011, Page 34. Photo and remarks, "Dog Portraiture: Display of Affection" by Nick Waters. So Good to See You, MS. Many thanks to Stockbridge, UK, gallery owner, Victoria Armstrong, for sharing remarks and images of my work with Dog World – The Digest of American Dogs. Click here to read the article: http://issuu.com/dognews/docs/042211/35
- DGK Gravhunden, February 2010. "Clay to Collector" Feature article and photos. The article that first appeared in the Doxie Digest, Summer 2009, was translated into Danish, by Susanne Bech of The Danish Dachshund Club. Click here to see it in Danish to see it in Danish or Click here to read the Doxie Digest article in English.
- Dog World (UK), June 25, 2010. Page 69. Photo and article, "The Dog in Art, Living with Dogs" by Nick Walters. Dreaming of Tomatoes, MS.
- FIDEM XXXI – Art Medal World Congress. Artists work from 28 countries. Page 295, Photos and description, Tampere Art Museum. Tampere, Finland. Inspiration. ISBN 978-951-609-455-0; ISBN 0782-3746.
- Doxie Digest, Summer 2009, Photos and feature article, "Clay to Collector" by Joy. Click here to read the article.
- The Sam Spartanburg Museum Exhibitions 2009, On line, photo and credit, "So Good to See You", announcing the schedule of "Paws & Reflect: Art of Canines".
- Doxie Digest, Winter 2009, Page 17-18. Photos in conjunction with an article about the Dachshund Club of St. Louis, "On the Hunt for an Established Doxie Club." Click here to learn more.
- Los Angeles Times, October 5, Arts & Books Section. Page 4F - and, on the web -- Arts & Culture cover article "Going out in Style" by Liesl Bradner. Remarks: Over the Rainbow.
- Carolina Arts, A Publication Covering the Arts in the Carolinas, February - Photo regarding "Pooches & Purebreds: Canine Images in Sculpture" at Brookgreen Gardens, Pawleys Island, SC. "Lives to Please"
- The Beacon Journal, Akron, OH, April 5. Page E3, remarks and 4"x 6" photo of "So Good to See You" and "Life is Sweet" in conjunction with a cover article, Section E, Your Home: "Canton show a tail-wagging tribute in art" by Connie Bloom. Re: "Paws & Reflect: Art of Canines" at the Canton Art Museum, Canton, OH.
- Resource Library, Traditional Fine Arts Organization, Inc., September - Photo of "Life is Sweet" at top of article about Paws & Reflect: Art of Canines. Article courtesy of the R.W. Norton Art Gallery, Shreveport, LA.
- Dachshund Club of St. Louis, Photos of the Weldon B Long Memorial. Click here to learn more.
- New York Times, January 18, Home & Garden cover photo and remarks ~ "In Death as in Life, a Personalized Space", by Patricia Leigh Brown. Over the Rainbow.
- PingMag, The Tokyo-based magazine about "Design & Making Things" February 21. Worldwide Events & Exhibitions, Arts & Crafts. "Ashes to Art: the Aesthetic of Death" by Verena. Photo and remarks: Over the Rainbow.
- Chesterfield Journal, May 23, "National Sculpture Society taps Beckner" Article regarding election as Professional Sculptor Member to National Sculpture Society.
- The Animal Companion, September, Arts & Leisure, Photo, credit, and article ~ "The Art of Canines" by editor and publisher Stephanie Blanchard. Regarding the museum traveling exhibit, "Paws & Reflect: Art of Canines." Photo: So Good to See You.
- The Review, Alliance, OH, Dec. 27. Let's Go! Cover photo and feature article, including a paragraph about my work ~ "Taking the Time to Paws & Reflect" by Tom Harper. Regarding "Paws & Reflect: Art of Canines" at the Canton Museum of Art, Canton, OH. Photo: Life is Sweet.
- MSNBC. July 14, "Hot dog! Dachshund Statues." "Dog Gone Good Artist" featured on Free News Videos. Joy was very surprised.
- NBC-TV. July 14-16, National NBC-TV affiliates from Seattle, WA to Greenville, NC, to Dallas, TX (KXAS, Channel 5), to Nashville, TN, featured "Dog Gone Good Artist" on local news. Please see below.
- KSDK, Channel 5, St. Louis, MO. May 10 & 11, "Show Me St. Louis". "Dog Gone Good Artist," a feature story photographed in Joy's studio about her work. Lizzie and Edgar are included! Reporter: Jim Schugel, Photographer: Mark Mallory.
- Alumni Courier, Normandy High School Alumni Association, Normandy, MO. Winter 2006. Photo and article, "'62 artist takes winding path to fame as a sculptor" by Bob Kemper, Editor in Chief of the 1963 Normandy Courier.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch, St. Louis, MO. September 6, Everyday section, cover photos and feature article, "Dachshunds of Bronze" by Cindy Billhartz. Photos by Karen Elshout.
- Chesterfield Journal, Chesterfield, MO. November 24. "Mayor John Nations honored sculptor Joy Kroeger Beckner with a special proclamation, recognizing her achievements during the Nov. 15 City Council meeting. Her achievements include more than 50 awards and displays of her bronze sculptures at venues such as the American Kennel Club Museum of the Dog."
- West Newsmagazine, Chesterfield, MO, November 4, 2004. Article, "Local Artist Recognized," by Diane Plattner.
- InformArt Magazine, Fall. Photos and article, "Woman's Best Friend" by Katherine Sulkowski.
- Dog News, January 30, Photos by Sidney Stafford & remarks by Billie McFadden ~ dog fanciers,figurative sculpture 16th Dog Art Competition ~ Squirrel Season-Smooth .
- www.star-telegram.com Keller, TX, Sunday, April 6, 2003. Page 6B. Remarks about my bronzes in the show, Sculpture Along the Trinity: Lord of the Couch, So Good to See You, and Life's a Ball!
- The Tiger, Clemson University, January. Paragraph about my work in "Petite Pieces" by Sissy McKee. So Good to See You.
- Chesterfield Journal, Chesterfield, MO, July 7, 2002, Cover photo and article ~ "Dog-gone -- but not Forgotten!" by Hannah Elizabeth Williams ~ The National Geographic Society Encore Exhibition of the Society of Animal Artists' 2000-2001 National Tour ~ A Good Life.
- A BREED APART ~ The Art Collections of the American Kennel Club and The
American Kennel Club Museum of the Dog, by William Secord, published by The
Antique Collectors' Club, Woodbridge, Suffolk IP12 1DS. Biography and color
plate ~ A Good Life.
Click HERE to read what William Secord wrote about Joy.
- The Arizona Republic, Phoenix, AZ, September 15, Photo & remarks ~ The Society of Animal Artists 41st Annual Art & The Animal Exhibition opening at The West Valley Art Museum, 17425 North 115th Avenue, Surprise, AZ ~ So Good to See You.
- St. Louis Post-Dispatch, St. Louis, MO. July 20, Article, Lifestyle back cover ~ "It's Reigning Cats & Dogs," an exhibition about the family pet. Joy was co-curator.
- Wildlife Art Magazine, July-August, Photo and remarks ~ Dreaming of Tomatoes.
- 21st Century Dog: A Visionary Compendium, edited by Michael J. Rosen, published by Stewart, Tabori & Chang ~ Photo and remarks ~ So Good to See You.
Click HERE to read what Michael Rosen wrote about Joy's work. See a top view of So Good to See You.
- Hometown Star, a publication of the Star-Telegram, Ft. Worth, TX, November
19, Photo & remarks about the new Flower Mound Public Library.
Click HERE to see children playing with So Good to See You while it was displayed in the library.
- Surrentum, Periodico di Informazione Turistica, Anno XIX, No. 7
Settembre 2000, Photo ~ So Good to See You. Remarks regarding the
American Women Artists Santa Fe/Sorrento Sister Cities Cultural Exchange
Exhibition at the Cloisters of St. Francis, Sorrento, Italy.
Click HERE to view pictures of Joy's trip to Italy.
- KSDK, Channel 5, St. Louis, MO, June 12, Bronzes telecast on "Show Me St. Louis," at The Gallery Restaurant, Clarkson-Clayton center, Ellisville, MO.
- Riverfront Times, May 31, Remarks by Jon Bonwich regarding "precious Life-like dachshund sculptures that were part of the featured art work at The Gallery Restaurant, Ellisville, MO.
- Canine Images, May-June, Cover photo & feature article about Joy's canine bronzes.
- Canine Images, March-April, Photos & remarks ~ National Academy, 175th Annual Exhibition ~ So Good to See You.
- Cherry Diamond, March, Missouri Athletic Club, St. Louis, MO ~ Photo & credit, Dreaming of Tomatoes.
- Dachshunds, Popular Dog series, Volume 10, From the Editors of Dog Fancy Magazine ~ Article.
- The Artist's Magazine, December, Photo & article ~ Dream Chasers-Best of Breed.
- The Dachshund Annual, 1999 Edition, Hoflin Publishing, Photos and article.
- Canine Images, Winter, Photo and remarks, Life's a Ball! Art Show at the Dog Show.
- Canine Images, Winter, Article, Society of Animal Artists, regarding membership & Dreaming of Tomatoes, SS, winning Award of Excellence, “Artist Joy Kroeger Beckner was selected to membership in the spring of 1999 and had her second animal sculpture, the first to be cast in bronze, Dreaming of Tomatoes, included in the SAA National Museum Tour. The piece also earned an SAA Award of Excellence.”
- Wildlife Art, September-October, Photo & remarks ~ American Women Artists ~ A Good Life
- Southwest Art, September, Remarks: “The Society of Animal Artists has tapped Joy Kroeger Beckner for membership. Beckner is a Missouri-based bronze sculptor” See it here.
- Art Revue, August, Photo & remarks ~ American Women Artists ~ A Good Life Best in Show.
- Southwest Art, July-August, Remarks: “The second annual American Women Artists show was held in Santa Fe, NM, in April. The top award went to bronze sculptor Joy Beckner.” Read more here..
- Ladue News, Ladue, Mo, June 11, Photo & credit ~ American Visions, Best Friends-Animals in Art ~ A Good Life.
- Taos News, Taos, NM, April 22, Photo & article ~ American Women Artists ~ A Good Life.
- Santa Fe New Mexican, Pasatiempo, April 16, Photo & credit ~ A Good Life.
- Sirius, American Kennel Club Museum of the Dog, Spring, Photo & remarks ~ Art Show at the Dog Show ~ A Good Life ~ 1997.
- Kerrville Daily Times, Kerrville, TX, April 8, 1998, Article about the Barbara Shoemaker Award at the Ingram Hill Country Arts Foundation, Confluence 26th Annual National Juried Painting and Sculpture Exhibition ~ A Good Life.
- The Topeka Capital-Journal, Topeka, KS, October 18, Remarks ~ Washburn University ~ A Good Life
- ShowSight Magazine, May, Remarks ~ Joy as judge of the 1998 Art Show at the Dog Show, Wichita, KS.
- Arizona Daily Star, Tucson, AZ, March 12, Photo & remarks ~ Central Arts Collective ~ Dreaming of Tomatoes.
- Dog Fancy, March, Photo & remarks, Dog Fanciers Club 10th Contemporary Art Competition, A Good Life.
- Dog World, March, Photo & remarks, Dog Fanciers Club 10th Contemporary Art Competition, A Good Life.
- The Artist's Magazine, January, Photo & remarks, Art Show at the Dog Show, A Good Life.
- Canine Images, Premier Issue, January, Photo & remarks, Dog Fanciers Club 10th Contemporary Art Competition, A Good Life.
- Dachshund Review, Winter 1997-1998, Cover ~ A Good Life.
- Cherry Diamond, Missouri Athletic Club, St. Louis, MO, December, Photo & remarks ~ Dreaming of Tomatoes.
- Dog News, Dec. 5, Photo & remarks ~ dog fanciers,figurative sculpture 10th Art Competition ~ A Good Life.
- Art Revue, Fall, Photos and remarks.
- Dachshund Review, Fall, Photo and article.
- Reporter-Harold, Loveland, CO, August 10, Front page remarks ~ Dreaming of Tomatoes.
- Wildlife Art, July-August, Photo & remarks ~ Art Show at the Dog Show ~ A Good Life.
- The Equine Image, June-July, Photo & remarks ~ Art Show at the Dog Show ~ A Good Life.
- Walton Arts Center, Fayetteville, AR, June Show Announcement, Photo & credit ~ Dreaming of Tomatoes.
- AKC Gazette, May, Photo & remarks ~ Art Show at the Dog Show ~ A Good Life.
- Art Revue, Spring, Photo & remarks ~ Art Show at the Dog Show ~ A Good Life.
- Sirius, American Kennel Club Museum of the Dog, Spring, Photo & remarks ~ Art Show at the Dog Show ~ A Good Life.
- Wichita Eagle, Wichita, KS, April, Photo & remarks ~ Art Show at the Dog Show ~ A Good Life.
- Art Revue, Summer, Remarks ~ Dreaming of Tomatoes.
- Sentinel, Parkersburg, WV, Spring, Remarks ~ Realism '96 ~ Dreaming of Tomatoes.
- KMOV-TV, St. Louis, MO, Photo telecast during the grand opening of the St. Louis Artists' Guild new location ~ Natasha.